Dr Hyman: “Ten Simple Tips That Will Save Your Life”
Dr. Hyman’s “10 Tips” has the science behind it to prove that some simple dietary changes can vastly improve the quality of your life, and your lifespan too. So dive into Ten Simple Tips That Will Save Your Life.
I’ve already posted some gift ideas (here and here) and about powerful supplements to help boost your immune system during this “cold season”, but given that it’s Christmas Eve today and the New Year is around the corner, I thought I’d say something about preparing yourself to make some dietary changes for 2013.
Perhaps it’s counter intuitive, but why not begin to make some dietary changes now, even though there will inevitably be an overabundance of sugary, wheat-filled stuff to stuff down this Holiday Season?
If you can navigate through all the temptation during this next week before the New Year, perhaps you’ll lay a well-earned foundation for the rest of 2013.
Are you willing to try?
If so, I introduce you to Dr. Mark Hyman’s Eating The Cure. It’s great summary of a set of considerations and actions that would make a profound difference in your life.
If you acted on them.
The good doctor’s thesis, very provable by the way, is that ten simple things will change your life for the better.
Now, note I say “simple” which doesn’t mean “easy”. Unfortunately, for most of us, change is hard, particularly when it has to do with diet.
Seems that our taste buds own us.
Know, though, that taste buds are malleable, and so if the only way you can enjoy breakfast right now is by eating an doughnut, realize that you can wean yourself off of a donut’s trifecta of sugar, salt, fat and gradually get all giggly about some lean protein, healthy fat and a bit of low glyemic carbs for breakfast (and every other meal).
So, consider the following ten tips seriously. Dr. Hyman bases them on what he calls the “nutrigenomic index”, or how to turn on the genes that create health.
Begin it now and try it for one month. Odds are that you’ll lose weight and boost your energy. Moreover, many of your chronically nagging symptoms will cease.
Do read the startling scientific background (in layman’s language) that supports this approach. It’s in Dr. Hyman’s article, Eating The Cure.
And now, from his article, here are Dr. Hyman’s ten tips…
Ten Simple Tips That Will Change Your Life
1. EAT REAL FOOD If it was grown on a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, avoid it. If it has a label stay away. As my grandmother said, “Buy fresh, eat fresh.”
2. EAT THE RAINBOW Colorful plant foods, the dark greens, blues, reds, oranges and yellows are all indicators of powerful plant compounds called phytonutrients that turn on anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, detoxifying genes.
3. GET AN OIL CHANGE Most Americans are deficient in Omega-3 fats that make up 60% of your brain, prevent heart disease and diabetes and reduce inflammation. Eat sardines, wild salmon, but stay away from the mercury laden tuna and swordfish.
4. CREATE THE PERFECT PLATE 50% low starchy veggies like broccoli, asparagus, salad fixings, 25% lean protein (chicken, fish, beans, nuts or seeds), and 25% gluten-free whole grain like brown rice or quinoa or starchy veggies like sweet potato.
5. BALANCE YOUR BLOOD SUGAR Learn how to create the perfect plate (and meal) to keep your blood sugar even. Banish sugar from all forms for one month. Eating sugar and flour products spike insulin, the fat storage hormone, leading to belly fat or “diabesity,” a metabolic disaster area that is the biggest cause of heart attacks, diabetes, cancer, and even dementia.
6. POWER UP YOUR DAY WITH PROTEIN Protein for breakfast (whole Omega-3 eggs, protein shake, etc.) boosts your metabolism and builds muscle.
7. DON’T DRINK YOUR CALORIES You don’t compensate for them by lowering your intake of solid food and they spike your insulin, too. That means sodas, juices and too much alcohol (more than one glass with dinner).
8. BEAT THE WHEAT Wheat has taken over our food supply. Our modern dwarf wheat has a super starch (amylopectin A), super gluten and a super drug which makes you fat, inflamed and addicted. Two slices of whole wheat bread raise your blood sugar more than two tablespoons of table sugar. Give it up for the summer and watch your health transform.
9. DUMP DAIRY For the summer (or just a month), give up “nature’s perfect food” (only if you are a calf!). It can cause digestive problems, sinus congestion, allergies, asthma, eczema, and even acne.
10. NUTRIFY YOUR LIFE Take a good multi-vitamin and mineral, a fish oil capsule and vitamin D3 every day. Over 90% of Americans are deficient in one or more nutrients. And a multivitamin can even lengthen your teleomeres.
As Dr. Hyman asserts:
“… these ten simple, but powerful ideas are based on decades of nutritional science of how to create health. Collectively, they can vanquish the most dreaded diseases and nagging symptoms.”
With that said, learn more about the science by reading Eating The Cure. And have a nice day.