Sugar spikes, insulin bursts, rising blood pressure, calcium excretion — there’s a lot to look forward to!
HERE’S A shout out to the Blisstree blog for posting What Happens to Your Body if You Drink a Coke Right Now, because too many of us – particularly children – think first of soda when thirsty.
Whatever happened to drinking water?
Well, most people don’t change behaviors very readily, irrespective of their deleterious effects, and most who read these seven physical impacts due to drinking soda will rationalize them away. But some small percent, usually 10% say researchers, will be moved by the data to make some changes.
To those 10% I dedicate this alarming information, which you can read in full here at Blissfree.com.
“1. In the first 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake [which is way too much anyway].) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor, allowing you to keep it down.
2. 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (And there’s plenty of that at this particular moment.)
3. 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate; your blood pressure rises; as a response, your liver dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked, preventing drowsiness.
4. 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production, stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
5. 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium, and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
6. 60 minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium, and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolytes, and water.
7. 60 minutes: As the rave inside you dies down, you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like hydrating your system, or building strong bones and teeth.”
Want to make some changes? Unless you have great resolve and self discipline, rather than quitting your soda habit cold turkey, do it gradually by substituting some quality drink for the soda you normally would drink until you no longer have the habit.
If plain water doesn’t have enough zest for you, add some lemon to it, or consider tea, cold or hot. Green tea in particular offers antioxidants and a thermogenic effect that can help reduce body fat – now ain’t that a great replacement for soda!
- The Unhappy Truth About Soda (video)
- Drink Your Way to Health and Weight Loss
- Boost Your Human Growth Hormone in 20 Minutes!
Published on September 27, 2010