A new flu has infected people in nearly every state in U.S. This is a tough one to beat, and there are not enough vaccines to go around. Here’s how to strengthen your immune system with specific foods and potent supplements.
FROM ALL accounts, a dangerous strain of the flu is sweeping across the nation, causing widespread sickness and vaccine shortages. I first got tuned to this when a buddy of mine visiting his ole man in Florida emailed me that his family was having a knock down, drag out fight with the flu.
Then I looked around the Interwebs. I quickly realized that this flu is creating havoc across this fair land, and most people are ill prepared.
The companies that produce the vaccine that may give people immunity from this flu had estimated they would manufacture 137 million doses this season. That number has not yet been reached, yet more than 80% of the projected vaccine production has already been used up by the approximately 112 million Americans who have gotten a shot.
Due to the virulence of this flu, the situation has become critical. According to the Daily Beast, this is the worse outbreak in 60 years.
This year, the “flu season” got an early start with a triple threat: An aggressive variant of influenza, a large and early outbreak of norovirus or “stomach flu,” and the worst outbreak of whooping cough in 60 years (42,000 confirmed cases).
This flu outbreak is among the worst in 10 years, leading to the aforementioned shortage of the vaccine, including Tamiflu treatment for children.
As of today, the only states without widespread flu are California, Mississippi and Hawaii.
Bets off about tomorrow, because although it sounds fairly “chicken little” to me, some say this outbreak has the potential to match the 1918-1919 flu epidemic, an outbreak that killed about 40 million people worldwide.
So, what does this mean to you?
Well, if you haven’t gotten a flu shot, it’s likely you’ll, in effect, need to wait in line until vaccine production overtakes demand. That means vaccine-intending people should join with those who resist such pleasures and strive to get out of harms way by preparing your immune system to resist infection.
Precautions to Stop the Spread of Germs
(And what to do if you have the flu)
- Avoid close contact with sick people. If sick yourself, limit contact with others.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- If there’s no tissue, wrap your arm around your nose when you cough or sneeze.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, as germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs.
- Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of purified water each day.
- Get enough sleep (here’s how), which for most people is 7-plus hours each night.
- Manage your stress; as in reduce it.
Build Your Immune System With Medicinal Foods and Potent Supplements
Eat the foods that help to build immune system health, such as:
- Fatty fish (salmon, trout and tuna are high in omega 3 fatty acids),
- Onions (promote flavonoid antioxidants such as quercetin, allicin and anthocyanins)
- Mushrooms (increase the production and activity of white blood cells),
- Yoghurt (contains probiotics which control the population of pathogens in the GI tract),
- Eggs (have choline which makes cell membranes resistant to infection),
- Beans (increase production and strength of white blood cells),
- Greens (protect blood vessels, reduce inflammation and neutralize oxidative stress),
- Berries (high in nutrients and antioxidants), and
- Nuts (rich in phytosterols, minerals and antioxidants).
Load up with supplements that have, as I wrote in a prior post, the potential to be “flu busing and immune enhancing”. The post is entitled: Nine Immune Enhancing, Flu-Busting Supplements You Need Now! These nine are:
- New Chapter Lifeshield Immunity Mushroom Extract formulas deliver tonic mushrooms’ whole protective shield through the combination of mycelium, their extracellular compounds, fruiting bodies, and spores.
- Zinc activates your T-cells (immune fighting cells).
This flu has invaded nearly every state in America, and the three that remain unaffected are at the precipice. By the time it runs out of steam, this flu will make the lives of millions miserable for a while, and some will die.
I suggest that you’re not one of them.
Do yourself a favor by getting prepared. If you are not able to, or don’t want to be vaccinated, then strengthen your immune system. I’ve offered a wide selection of immune enhancing foods and supplements. Click the links presented and learn what is best for you.
Do what you can to build a bulletproof immune system.
Published on January 12, 2013